This training program is designed for people who wish to attain a “Medium Rigid (mr licence)” Drivers licence.
Medium Rigid (mr licence) vehicles are trucks that have two axles and a Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) over 8 tonnes with two axles, this class of licence is popular with delivery vehicles, small tip trucks or other medium sized commercial vehicle.
People seek this licence to upgrade their skills from a LR Licence to expand their career opportunities, or as part of a job role as a delivery driver, courier, bus driver or other commercial role.
A Medium Rigid ‘Class MR’ covers a rigid vehicle with 2 axles and a GVM of more than 8 tonnes. Any towed trailer must not weigh more than 9 tonnes GVM. This also includes vehicles in class ‘LR’.
To enter into this course, you will need to:
- Already hold a “C” Manual class drivers licence and be off “Red P’s”.
- You will need to have been to the Road and Maritime Service, passed the RMS “MR Knowledge Test”. (The RMS charge $48 for this)
- Pass the RMS Eyesight test
- Been issued with a RMS CBA (Competency Based Assessment) Logbook and CBA guide book. (The RMS charge $26 for this)
- When you enrol we will need to check your eligibility with RMS Heavy Vehicle – Competency Online Reporting System (HVCORS)
- Contact Kool Driving School and book in for training and assessment please have your Logbook with you when you call, as there are details within the Logbook which we require for processing your booking.
During the Kool Driving School course you will learn to:
- Drive the Medium Rigid vehicle
- Monitor traffic and road conditions
- Monitor and maintain vehicle performance
These skills are delivered and assessed over a period of about 8 hours, each driver learns at a different rate, and thus you may require a slightly more or less time.
Most drivers complete the training and assessment in two blocks of four hours. If more than eight (8) hours is required this is charged in addition to the course fee in hourly increments.
The assessment process consists of:
- You passing the assessment conducted by Kool Driving School
- Kool Driving School issuing you with a Certificate of Competency and a Statement of Attainment.
- Kool Driving School submitting your results to the RMS HVCORS
- You going to RMS with Certificate of Competency, and paying the Licence upgrade fee of $24
The unit of competency is nationally recognised and can only be delivered by a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) that complies with the governing standards of quality control and quality training and assessment. Assessment is based on competency i.e. your ability to answer a number of questions about driving, the road rules, the vehicle and then satisfactory driving the vehicle in normal traffic and performing the normal driving tasks such as:
- Braking to a line.
- Maintaining safe buffer zones.
- Selecting when to merge or enter a stream of traffic.
- Observation and use of mirrors.
- Selection of appropriate speed and vehicle position when turning.
- Co-ordination of gears, clutch, accelerator and other major controls.
- Correct signalling.
- Pre-departure check.
- Long reverse
- Reverse park
- Kerbside stop
- Pre-departure check
Due to the requirements of maintaining a safe learning environment, Kool Driving School reserves the right to withdraw any participant(s) on the grounds of safety.
Kool Driving School is flexible in the format and timing of learning and assessment activities to ensure that we provide every opportunity for participants to demonstrate their skills and abilities. Should you need support or assistance beyond our skills we will refer you to a suitable organisation to assist you further.
Kool Driving School offers support to all participants with their learning needs. We can tailor the training and assessment program to assist people with learning issues and, to a more limited degree, personal issues.
Our participant manual details our complaints and appeal procedure, our discipline policy, and our access and equity policy, including the contact for any Access and Equity issues.
Fees and Charges:
- $800.00 per person based upon 2 blocks of 4 hours on 1 day for training and assessment
- If additional time is required, this is charged at $130.00 per hour. Sometimes clients with minimal experience may require more training. You will be advised of the likelihood of this at enrolment.
- It should be noted that participants with an experienced background may complete the course within 8 hours. Individuals that have minimal experience may take up to between 20 to 40 hours or until competency is demonstrated.
As this training is Nationally Accredited, it does not attract GST.
Our Fee and Refund policy is:
- $800.00 course fee is charged when booking and training/assessment dates set.
- Course cancelation of less than 7 days or less notice forfeits the course fees
- Course cancelation of greater than 7 days allows for 100 % of the fees paid to be refunded.
- Shifting to alternative course start dates with greater than 7 days’ notice is done without charge
- Shifting to alternative course start dates with 7 days or less notice attracts a $ 100.00 administration fee.
Requests for variation of the refund policy should be made in writing to the CEO.